In the Star Wars prequels and the Clone Wars TV series, clone troopers are a mainstay of the events that take place during that time period in the Star Wars universe. Created by the cloning labs of Kamino from the DNA of notorious bounty hunter Jango Fett, the clone troopers form the military power of the Galactic Republic during the Clone Wars. They are placed under strict combat education during their growth and emerge from the Kaminoan clone factories as elite fighting machines. Unlike the robotic armies of the Confederacy of Independent Systems, clones are capable of thinking more creatively, making them superior fighters.
The clone troopers are the predecessors of the Stormtroopers employed following the Republic's reformation into the Galactic Empire. During the Imperial era, the Empire built up its military primarily by recruiting humans from various planets into their stormtrooper ranks rather than relying solely on cloning. Eventually, Jango Fett's clones were phased out of the Imperial Army completely.
In virtually all of their appearances, clone troopers are shown to be killed in tremendous numbers. It is interesting to note that they are superior combatants to their stormtrooper successors in the original Star Wars trilogy.
In Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, the clone troopers are portrayed either physically or through CGI makeup by Temuera Morrison, who played Jango Fett. In the TV series Star Wars: The Clone Wars, all clones are voiced by Dee Bradley Baker.
A number of notable clone characters have appeared throughout the Star Wars franchise. Listed below are the various named individual clone troopers that have died throughout Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
- Tag - Member of Shadow Squadron; killed after his Y-Wing collided with Matchstick's ship.
- Matchstick - Member of Shadow Squadron; his Y-Wing suffered damage during a mission and he crashed into Tag's ship.
- O'Niner - Sergeant of Domino Squad; killed by droid commandos at Rishi Outpost.
- Cutup (CT-4040) - Member of Domino Squad; devoured by a Rishi eel.
- Hevy (CT-782) - Member of Domino Squad; sacrificed himself by blowing up Rishi Outpost.
- Fil (CC-3714) - Killed on Vassek 3 by General Grievous' pet roggwart Gor.
- Niner - Killed on Vassek 3; blown up by a MagnaGuard with a rocket launcher.
- Bel - Killed on Vassek 3; blown up by a MagnaGuard with a rocket launcher.
- Cameron - Killed on Maridun by a Mastiff phalone.
- Lucky - Killed on Maridun by a Mastiff phalone.
- Flash - Killed on Maridun by a Mastiff phalone.
- Axe - Leader of Blue Squadron; his V-19 was shot down during the Battle of Ryloth.
- Slammer - Member of Blue Squadron; shot down during the Battle of Ryloth.
- Kickback - Member of Blue Squadron; shot down during the Battle of Ryloth.
- Tucker - Member of Blue Squadron; shot down during the Battle of Ryloth.
- Swoop - Member of Blue Squadron; shot down during the Battle of Ryloth.
- Denal - A member of the 501st Legion. He was killed by the bounty hunter Cad Bane during the Battle of Devaron. Bane then stripped him of his armour and used it to disguise himself so he could infiltrate the Republic cruiser Resolute.
- Buzz - Killed on Geonosis by undead Geonosians controlled by Karina the Great.
- Gearshift - Killed on Geonosis by undead Geonosians.
- Trap - Member of Tango Company; infected by a Geonosian brain worm and later killed by Barriss Offee aboard the medical frigate TB-73.
- Redeye - A member of the 501st Legion. He was killed aboard the Mandalorian consular ship Coronet by an SD-K4 assassin droid.
- Mixer - A member of the 501st Legion. He was killed aboard the Mandalorian consular ship Coronet by an SD-K4 assassin droid.
- Hawkeye - Killed on Malastare after being crushed by the Zillo Beast.
- Kosmos - Killed by the Zillo Beast during its rampage on Coruscant.
- Ponds (CT-411) - Member of Lightning Squadron; he was captured and then murdered by the bounty hunter Aurra Sing.
- Havoc - Member of Rancor Battalion; he was killed during the Separatist invasion of Kamino.
- Charger - A member of the 501st Legion. During a mission on Lola Sayu to rescue Jedi Master Even Piell from the Citadel prison complex, he fell while scaling a rock face and died after hitting an electro-mine.
- Longshot - A member of the 212th Attack Battalion; he died inside the Citadel when an electrical field swept across a corridor inside the prison complex, catching him as he tried to leap out of its path.
- Oz - Killed on Umbara after stepping on a landmine.
- Ringo - Killed on Umbara after stepping on a landmine.
- Hardcase - A member of the 501st Legion; during the Battle of Umbara, he sacrificed himself to destroy the main reactor of a Separatist supply ship.
- Tup (CT-5385) - A member of the 501st Legion. During the Battle of Ringo Vinda in 19 BBY, his neural inhibitor chip malfunctioned, causing a preemptive activation of Protocol 66. As a result, Tup fell into a trance and executed Jedi General Tiplar. When he was taken back to Kamino for evaluation, Kaminoan scientist Nala Se attempted to terminate Tup to prevent the Jedi from learning about Protocol 66. However, ARC trooper Fives and medical droid AZI-3 managed to retrieve the anesthetized Tup and removed the biochip in his brain. Tup died shortly after the chip was extracted.
- Gree (CC-1004) - Commander of the 41st Elite Corps. During the Battle of Kashyyk in the final days of the Clone War, Order 66 was issued and Gree was compelled to follow it, attempting to execute Master Yoda. Yoda sensed a disturbance in the Force and managed to decapitate Gree before he could fire a shot.